Week 21’s Mixed Media Altered Playing Card Challenge presented by Maremi’s Creative Cafe on Facebook was U – Unity. Oops, somehow I screwed it up. I created U for Unique.
Not sure how it happened but . . . I decided I loved my Unique card, and I don’t want to create another.
I almost threw the card away during the creative process. Then I decided to try something radical. It worked. I love it!
Those are real orchid petals glued onto the card. Again another first, I have wanted to try using items from nature on my projects. I also tried matte medium for the first time.
Fun and horrible project. I started with watercolor paper using matte medium glued a layer of different kinds of papers, using pink, salmon, and light teal acrylic paints with a piece of drywall mesh to create texture and color. The third layer ruined it, Stazon ink and a defective stamp not centered. I tried many things to fix it. No luck.
Channeling Bob Ross, I wanted to give it one more try. So before throwing the card out, I decided to paint it black. The matte medium created a unique surface. I decided to remove some of the black with a wet one, loved the distressed black layer. I had a dried out orchid bloom from my mom laying around my craft table. Viola!
I love it.
Hope you enjoy it!